To celebrate tomorrow's Tor AMA with Kit Rocha and Camilla Bruce on Reddit's /r/Fantasy subreddit (3pm EST), I decided to compile all of my contributions to Reddit's /r/WritingPrompts subreddit here in a tidy little list. I hope this collection will inspire you to write your next bestseller (if it does, you better dedicate it to me!).
2. “They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions, but that road is a two-lane highway, you know? Now, most folks have a guardian angel, but I'm here trying to to earn my freedom. I'm your guardian demon.”
3. You're driving home from work when it starts raining actual cats and dogs. Unfortunately this is the leading front of Hurricane Fido.
4. Mad Max ran out of water crossing the salt flats once known as Pennsylvania. On the 3rd day he found a haggard man pushing a rusted trolley. “We have water in Scrap-Town Scranton, yes,” said the man, leaning on the Interceptor. “But don't touch mine. It has DWIGHT SCHRUTE written on it. Comprende?”
5. New York City is being attacked by a kaiju monster, a grotesque cat the size of a building . . . and the only thing that can save the city is your faithful family pet--Clifford the Big Red Dog.
6. After killing Bill, the Bride lived on, raising B.B. to be an even better swordfighter than she'd ever been. But she knew this day would come. California Mountain Snake, now the Blind Samurai, drew her sword from its cane. “I seek my revenge on the one who took my eye.”
7. The Joker had stopped laughing. “I think I finally pushed him too far,” he said as Gordon and Bullock marched him into the precinct jail. “Nygma, Oswald--Bats is killing all of us.” The last thing they saw before the lights went out were words gouged into the cell wall. 'HE'S MINE'
8. You realize that your multiple personalities have started a prank war with each other, and you are caught in the crossfire.
9. “I applaud your efforts,” said Vader, “but the Emperor's death will cause an unprecedented power vacuum and destabilize the galaxy, resulting in even more widespread tragedy.” Luke smiled and sat on Palpatine's throne. “Then we'll just have to make them believe he's still alive, won't we?”
10. A bakery assistant discovers the hole in each of his latest batch of donuts is a transdimensional passage.
11. “Mario Bros. Detective Agency,” Luigi muttered into the phone. A hung-over Mario lay on the office couch, wishing he was dead. “Looks like we've got another trip to the morgue,” said Luigi, hanging up. “The Hammer Brothers struck again.”
12. Everybody's personal phobia is how they died in a previous life. You visit a clairvoyant to find out why your phobia is so bizarre and irrational.
13. “Wednesday! Pugsley! Gomez! You'll never guess what I found at the auction house today!” cried Uncle Fester, pulling a golden box out of his pocket. “They call it the Lament Configuration.”
14. You discover you have a superpower: altering probability. You use it to benefit yourself (100% chance of finding $1,000 in your bank account, etc), but one day you find out that it works by directly reducing the probability of other good things happening elsewhere.
15. You are Patient Zero in a viral plague that turns people into... exact duplicates of you. And only you know yourself well enough to end the epidemic.
16. You're not like most hunters of supernatural creatures and beings--you're a gourmand, and have made it your life's quest to taste and consume every ghost, vampire, mythical beast, and cryptid.
17. Everyone always knew the zombie apocalypse would happen one day. They just didn't know it would be their reflection-selves from the world on the other side of the mirror.
18. Standing on your front stoop, you hear screaming in the direction of Toontown. Your neighbor runs past, terrified. “The storage tank at the portable-hole factory exploded! IT’S FLOODING EVERYTHING!”
19. “Sir, the subject is isolated because this isn’t your usual case of multiple personality disorder . . . he's contagious.”
20. A midwestern community discovers their suburban neighborhood is infested with termites that have evolved to eat bone.
21. Your important, expensive Amazon purchase is so mis-routed, it ends up on the doorstep of an 18th century French family.
22. A goliath beast stalks the neon landscape of a cyberpunk city, a cybernetic hunter-killer under the collective imperative of a Twitch chat, who watches everything unfold through its eyes.
23. You arrive for your 9 AM appointment only to realize that the dentist treating you is Sasquatch.
24. After recovering from a brain tumor, you've developed a form of synesthesia that allows you to taste music. You become Food Network's first traveling music critic.
25. The collision of bosons at the CERN particle accelerator managed to damage the temporal flow of Earth, resulting in "time-weather." Twenty years later, you've found your calling as a time-storm chaser.